O2 Academy Brixton To Remain Closed For Three Months In Light Of Tragic Crowd Crush

O2 Academy Brixton To Remain Closed For Three Months In Light Of Tragic Crowd Crush

January 18, 2023

O2 Brixton will remain shut for an additional three months in order for police to investigate the crowd crush that sadly left two people dead.

The London venue hosted Afrobeats star Asake across three dates but it was at his final show that things took a dark turn. The night was cut short when people began forcing their way into the venue, leaving a number of individuals badly injured and resulted in the death of 33-year-old mother of two children Rebecca Ikumelo, and 23-year-old Gaby Hutchinson who was a security contractor working on the night. A third attendee remains hospitalised in critical condition.

It is reported by BBC News that the venue's license had previously been suspended by Lambeth Council until the January 16, where they would meet to discuss the venue's future. Now, the suspension will extend for another three months while investigations continue.

In a shared statement, a spokesperson for Academy Music Group said: "O2 Academy Brixton recognises the gravity of the events which occurred on the night of 15th December 2022 and expresses its sincere condolences to the families of those who died during the tragic incident and its genuine concerns for anyone affected by it.

"The licence holder (AMG) is committed to understanding what happened and co-operating with the various investigations that are underway including providing full cooperation to the police in the conduct of their inquiries."

Lambeth Council has the authority to revoke the venue's license permanently if they decide it's an appropriate solution to the incident.

Updated on April 26:

The Met Police has requested that the O2 Academy in Bristol remained permanently closed, stating they have "lost confidence" in Academy Music Group (AMG)'s ability to safely run the venue. The Met has also submitted an application to Lambeth Council, dated April 17, requesting the venue's licence be stripped completely.

Speaking to the Press Association, a spokesperson for the Met commented: "On Monday 16 January, the licence of the O2 Academy Brixton was suspended for three months.

"On 14 April, the Met Police submitted an application for a review of [the] premises licence to Lambeth council and will be seeking a revocation of the licence. This matter will be decided at a future council sub-committee hearing on a date to be confirmed."

In response, AMG said in a statement to the Evening Standard: "Academy Music Group has co-operated fully with the Metropolitan Police and Lambeth Council since the tragedy at Brixton occurred.

"We have had regular meetings and discussions with the Metropolitan Police and Lambeth Council at which we have presented detailed proposals that we believe will enable the venue to reopen safely.

"AMG has been awaiting feedback on those proposals for several weeks and looks forward to hearing from the police as soon as possible in constructive terms. The review of our licence will take place through the formal process with Lambeth Council in due course."

The next meeting is due to be held on May 15 when councillors will decide whether or not to follow the police's recommendation.