Home Office Reinstates Funding For Jamaican Charity Helping Victims Of Windrush Scandal

Home Office Reinstates Funding For Jamaican Charity Helping Victims Of Windrush Scandal


April 10, 2019

After the recent news that the government was set to pay victims of the Windrush Scandal compensation of up to (but not capped at) 200 million pounds, it seemed as though the Home Office had let us down once again with a recent report stating that it had pulled funding for a charity that was helping the people it had deported just three days before the aforementioned announcement. But now it has been announced that new funding will start in May and be piecemeal, rather than an annual amount, with the charity being asked to help individuals and then invoice for the work.

Having previously provided funding of between £160,000 and £180,000 to the National Organisation of Deported Migrants (NODM) in Jamaica for the last seven years, the money allowed the charity to provide transport, accommodation, and other help such as documentation to people just arriving in the country. Oswald Dawkins, the charity president, revealed that funding had been decreasing over the last three years, with the staff predominantly made up of volunteers.

Minnie Rahman, public affairs manager at the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI), said that "It is outrageous that just days before it announced a flawed compensation scheme for the Windrush generation the government also pulled funding from an organisation helping people deported overseas. The Home Office's ongoing practice of deporting people who've grown up in Britain to countries they've never known is shockingly cruel. Without fundamental reform of the Home Office and the scrapping of policies like the Hostile Environment, we can expect many more scandals like the Windrush scandal to come to the surface."

While Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott said, "This is a terrible extension of the government's hostile environment policies. Removing funding from vital agencies which are there to help vulnerable people and potential Windrush victims. The government has failed to understand the full extent of the Windrush scandal that they caused. This decision only deepens this scandal."

Speaking about the new funding, Oswald Dawkins commented that "they knew that at the end of March the funding would come to an end so we would want the secure funding before that comes to an end and seek funds thereafter. They let it lapse. The timing is a bit suspicious. They're not going to cover rental of an office for administrative purposes or any other purpose. We still will have to continue with whatever bare bones we have."


Words: Aaron Bishop


Recommended: